<BGSOUND LOOP='1' SRC='http://www.fittie.eclipse.co.uk/music/acdciywb.mp3'> </BGSOUND> If You Want Blood - Youve Got It!: Sea legs or Chemo legs?

Tuesday 10 March 2009

Sea legs or Chemo legs?

Tuesday: [current status - at home on pass until weds!]

A long while ago I traveled with a van from Cadiz to the Canary Islands. The first stage was quite a rough 2.5 day crossing through the Atlantic. We eventually stopped at the harbour in Tenneriffe for a few hours, great dry land! But when I stepped out into the harbour and the lower city - the land was moving! I had "sea legs". I was so used to moving on the boat that my body compensated now on land. I never forgot than, and the tapas for breakfast were very good too!

From 8 am yesterday I was finally detached from my IV machine buddy, this time we had been inseperable for 24hours x 7days. In another sense I was being detached ceremoniously from my planned treatment as there was only the spinal therapy to go in the afternoon. Thats a massinve thing - brilliant and daunting. Its funny, I always struggle when detached from the drips: I jump out of bed and stop, half way across the room, waiting for the bungee pull back!

Well everything necessary went to plan yesterday, the final spinal tap, and it was agreed I could go on pass at home until a review on Wednesday. At home we had an awesome meal last night, I think my mum could rocket into business with a full range of soon to be very famous fish pies if she wished!

Again though by night, my body crashed and just will not settle. Now that I am at home, with more comfort, and less fluids needing to be passed, I thought it would be easier. I guess I need to reaclimatise. I think I still have chemo legs! I was constantly waking expecting there to be something else, it felt invisible and abstract, knowledge, time, position in bed? Was it the lack of an IV? or just the knowledge of the end of my planned chemo plan? The very concept of just lying and then sleeping peacefully without "some prop" did not seem to work. I was constantly searching the bed for this abstract missing link! (i am sure Buttons would have helped - but he was off doing his own thing!). So I am likening it to sea legs - Chemo legs , and for sure like that in a day or two it will pass and I'll will be sleeping easy!

Doie Doie (Al Fraz and Stu)!
and good morning to the rest of you!

Martin

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin,

    Good to hear you're out and about again. Good luck with the review on Weds.

    Shame about no more Spinal Tap, let's hope your white cell count goes all the way to 11 in their honour.

    All the best,

    Kyren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope to see you tomorrow. With you all the way on the chemo legs thing btw, its coming off an iv, plus machine, plus whatever else you are attached to, you move in your sleep and automatically adjust your body position for something that isnt there, so you wake up.... it passes x

    ReplyDelete

 
free web counter