<BGSOUND LOOP='1' SRC='http://www.fittie.eclipse.co.uk/music/acdciywb.mp3'> </BGSOUND> If You Want Blood - Youve Got It!: Snowboard Descent of Everest ! a Leukaemia fund raising challenge

Saturday 13 March 2010

Snowboard Descent of Everest ! a Leukaemia fund raising challenge

UPDATE: Waiting on good weather. Expected attempt: Tuesday 23th March, Lecht Ski Centre.

please now go to my page on the Friends of ANCHOR site for online donations
note so far they have not updated the running total, but I believe there has already been a great response so thank you all so far. Please Donate, even if just a little, as this challenge and Charity is incredibly important to me.
Many thanks, Martin


Welcome back to my blog everyone, and sorry about the shocking picture!
I feel very fortunate to be able say since my Chemotherapy, bar a few hiccups, I am doing very well, touch wood. I've been back at work since November and my health is continually improving.

It is now one year post chemotherapy, so to mark this I am organising a charity sports event:

"The Descent of Everest by Snowboard!"


OK
, I couldn't get the backing to go to Nepal, so instead my task will be carried out in the Scottish Mountains, very soon, at the end of March.

The aim is to climb and descend by snowboard the equivalent height of Everest in one day That's 29,035 feet or 8850 meters!

HOW?

It will take place in the Scottish mountains, at either Cairngorm or the Lecht ski slope. I will be using Ski lifts Pomas and T-bars for going up, (no cheating using the Funicular or Chair Lifts!), and will then be descending purely by snowboard power! It's going to be a tough challenge which will mean going almost non stop for around 8 hours!

I will be wearing Polar heart rate/altitude monitor which records total ascent and descent over time. So I will publish the proof on this site when all is completed!

The serious aim is to achieve this in one day, which is definitely a tough challenge. However, if I fail, I'll will go back the next day to complete the descent!

WHEN:
It will be carried out in just over a weeks time, between 22nd and 26th of March. (The date is not fixed as I aim to find a good day when the Pomas are running full speed).


The Charity - Friends of Anchor
Since my diagnosis for Burkitt's Leukaemia in December 2008, I vowed to myself that if I was well enough I would start raising money for Leukaemia. As I wrote a year ago in this Blog, I was particularly moved by the support of the charity "Friends of Anchor". It supports the Aberdeen and North Centre for Haematology, Oncology and Radiotherapy (ANCHOR). All money raised goes to good use as the Balmoral Group run the administration for free. I found their support help raise my spirits at times when I needed all the help I could get. In addition they also fund cancer research projects.

SPONSORSHIP / Donations
Online sponsorship is preferred as you can then reclaim gift aid automatically.
please go to my page on the Friends of ANCHOR site

at the bottom you will find a donation payment section

Please ensure you leave the text "Martin Downing" in top line of message box
so we can keep a running total going!

Well thats all for now. Thank you very much for your support

Martin :)

1 comment:

  1. Well done Martin!!! I am so happy you are back at work and being able to organize such a crazy day! I will support you of course! How is all the crazy guys from your fun sessions? David, Richard, Udeni, Fred still in touch? Are they joining you for the descent? On my side I just moved to Marseille as my girlfriend Giulia just got a engineering job out there...windsurf will be great! he he
    This is great, good luck for this challenging event and post us the result and few pics!! WOuhuuuuu
    Vinc

    ReplyDelete

 
free web counter